It is a fact that burning wood with a high moisture content and long periods of slumbering produce high levels of un-burnt hydrocarbons that deposit within the chimney as tar or creosote.
This product is quite likely to cause a chimney fire if it is not removed however it is impossible to remove glazed creosote in most cases with abrasion based cleaning methods without also damaging the chimney.
The solution is to use a chemical cleaner or modifier to either liquefy or change the creosote tar into a product that can be cleaned.
It is my experience that the liquid method of tar removal is extremely messy using sprayed on sodium hydroxide solution which in turn runs down the flue to the fireplace and hearth.
The solution we use at clean sweep chimney services is the Cre-Away pro method dry powder application creosote modifier. This product uses a magnesium catalyst to transform wet or glazed tar into something that resembles expanded black honey comb which can be swept away using a rotary flail or stiff brushes.
It also contains a fire suppressant which helps reduce the risk of a chimney fire while it does its work.
learn the process below
- Protect the working area, clear furniture and lay sheets, cloths and other protective measures
- Clean The Chimney thoroughly using traditional or rotary methods
- Warm the chimney up using an electric heater
- prepare the cre away, charge a compressor and attach the grit blasting attachment
- Dont forget your personal protective equipment mask especially
- Close access to the room, closing doors and windows
- Place the hose from the grit blasting attachment in the bucket of stirred cre_away pro and now you can direct the nozzle up the chimney and pull the trigger in measured bursts not one stream. It is best to have the heater running through application.
- Check with a torch and mirror to see if there s enough coverage, check the chimney top too if you have safe access.
- Continue to apply product until the entire chimney is coated and you cannot see the creosote through the creaway.
- clean the site and instruct the customer to use the heater in the chimney for around two hours per day for six weeks. Demonstrate position etc use an rcd.
- Six weeks later return to the site, resweep the chimney using rotary methods to remove the expanded modified creosote.
- Check condidion of flue if tar us still present go back to 3. And repeat the process.